In the Northwest, we are starting to build and market a regional brand of beef with support from the Beef Farmers of Ontario. By using this commodity to build a stronger value chain, we will strengthen local food processing and distribution in this region. We hope to connect the Northeast and Northwest distribution networks before project end.
This project will take place in four stages:
- Market research to narrow down wholesale and retail customer purchasing priorities
- Brand development based on pairing consumer desired standards with local production practices
- Training, support, and inspections of participating farms and processing facilities to ensure product standardization. Farms will be third party inspected to ensure superior quality, animal handling, food safety, environmental standards, and adherence to brand claims.
- Product launch with branded materials for establishments which choose to purchase and promote this local, quality brand of beef.
What does this mean for the Northwest? Access to higher volumes of beef with consistent quality, conveniently delivered, all produced within Northwestern Ontario (NWO) under a brand which will be promoted and sought after throughout the region.
Beef producer meetings and training sessions will be held throughout NWO for the duration of this project.
- Market research presentation and brand development discussion
- "Selling Beyond the Farm Gate": online tools for business expansion and development (in partnership with AMI)
- SNAPP: NEW stream for supporting clean technology
- Verified Beef Production Plus: Pre-audit workshop with Dan Ferguson. What do you need to know to participate in the VBP program.
Tuesday April 10th:
Dryden Best Western
Wednesday, April 11th:
Thursday April 12th:
For more information about the project, please contact:
LFFC Northwest Coordinator
If you live in NWO, we need your input to help shape this brand. Please take 5 minutes to complete this survey for been wholesale purchasers and/or household purchasers in NWO. This is a unique opportunity for you to tell the farmers exactly what you are looking for. Your answers will help to guide farmers who are interested in collaborating and scaling up to increase the availability of quality, local beef for purchase.
Survey link for wholesale purchasers (restaurants, schools, daycares, institutions, lodges):
Survey link for household purchasers:
Survey link for cattle farmers:
This initiative is produced in partnership with Beef Farmers of Ontario.